Re: Regression from efi: call get_event_log before ExitBootServices

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Thu Mar 08 2018 - 11:50:31 EST

<somehow this part of the thread was missing some email addresses, I've added these now>

Hi,

On 07-03-18 12:34, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
On 03/07/2018 12:10 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:

<snip>

Both according to the BIOS and to the /sys/class/tpm/tpm0/device/description
file it is a TPM 2.0.

I see, so you can choose enabling the TPM 1.2 or TPM 2.0 device? At least that's
the case on my X1 Carbon laptop. I've both a hardware TPM 1.2 and a firmware TPM
2.0 that's implemented as an Intel ME application (AFAIU).

This device only has the firmware TPM 2.0 implementation.

<snip>

I'm actually amazed that this machine has a TPM at all, a quick internet
search shows that it is a software implemented TPM running as part of the
TXE firmware.

A quick search suggests that it comes with Windows 10?

Yes, it comes with Windows 10.

For start, can you please check if you can boot a v4.16-rcX kernel with the
TPM device enabled? That way we will know that at least that it consistently
fails on this machine and is not and isolated issue.

I just tried and v4.16-rc3 boots fine for me, repeatedly.

That's an interesting data point.

I guess Jeremy's model may actually have something in the TPM log

I don't think so. The UEFI firmware already does some measurements and also
does shim. So you *should* have some logs.

while my TPM log is empty... Is there anyway to make sure the TPM
log has some info to retreive?

Are you also able to read the TPM event logs?

$ hexdump /sys/kernel/security/tpm0/binary_bios_measurements

Yes for me that outputs a lot of hex :)

The UEFI firmware does some measurements and so does shim. So you should
have some event logs. What version of shim are you using? And also would
be good to know if it's the same shim version that Jeremy is using.

That is a very good question, I'm using: shim-ia32-13-0.7.x86_64, which is
the last version for F27 AFAICT.

But Jeremy's tablet might very well be not using the shim at all, as
I manually installed Fedora 25 on the tablet he now has, before Fedora supported
machines with 32 bit EFI. I then later did a "dnf distro-sync" to Fedora-27.

Jeremy might also very well still be booting using a grub binary I build
manually back then, without any shim being involved.

Jeremy what does efibootmgr -v output on your device ?

Regards,

Hans