Re: linux-next: manual merge of the kvm-arm tree with the arm64 tree

From: Will Deacon
Date: Wed Mar 28 2018 - 07:53:56 EST

Hi Stephen,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 04:00:34PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the kvm-arm tree got a conflict in:
>
> arch/arm64/kernel/cpu_errata.c
>
> between commit:
>
> c0cda3b8ee6b ("arm64: capabilities: Update prototype for enable call back")
> followed by a series of patches cleaning up capabilities
>
> from the arm64 tree and commits:
>
> 4b472ffd1513 ("arm64: Enable ARM64_HARDEN_EL2_VECTORS on Cortex-A57 and A72")
> f9f5dc19509b ("arm64: KVM: Use SMCCC_ARCH_WORKAROUND_1 for Falkor BP hardening")
>
> from the kvm-arm tree.
>
> I fixed it up (maybe, please check the result and see below) and can
> carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
> tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

This is a really grotty conflict, so Marc and I have decided to revert
f9f5dc19509b ("arm64: KVM: Use SMCCC_ARCH_WORKAROUND_1 for Falkor BP hardening")
from kvm-arm for now. There's a little hack necessary to keep things
building after that, but we can clean that up at -rc1.

Shanker -- I'm still aiming to get your patch into 4.17, either during the
second half of the merge window or at -rc1.

Cheers,

Will