Re: Commit *driver core: emit uevents when device is bound to a driver* causes regression

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Fri Apr 06 2018 - 09:24:45 EST

Dear Greg,

On 04/06/18 15:18, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 02:20:40PM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:

Commit 1455cf8 (driver core: emit uevents when device is bound to a
driver) [1], introduced in Linux 4.14-rc1, causes a regression in user
space.

After disconnecting USB devices, they are still shown as plugged in [2][3].

I seem to be having a similar issue, but with an iPhone X using USB
to provide internet access. Even after the phone is disconnected, it
still shows up as "loaded active plugged". The only way to fix this
is to reboot or use a different USB port.

`git bisect` shows that commit 1455cf8 (driver core: emit uevents when
device is bound to a driver) is at fault [4].

As user space should not break with newer Linux kernels, do you know what to
do about that or can you think of a fix?

I thought we fixed this with follow-on patches, are you sure you are
using the latest 4.14.y kernel that has been released?

Here we are using Linux 4.14.30. We can try newer versions next week.

Kind regards,

Paul