fd3e45436660 ("ACPI / NUMA: ia64: Parse all entries of SRAT memory affinity table")

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Wed Apr 11 2018 - 06:48:44 EST

Hi,
my attention was brought to the %subj commit and either I am missing
something or the patch is quite dubious. What is it actually trying to
fix? If a BIOS/FW provides more memblocks than the limit then we would
get misleading numa topology (numactl -H output) but is the situation
much better with it applied? Numa init code will refuse to init more
memblocks than the limit and falls back to dummy_numa_init (AFAICS)
which will break the topology again and numactl -H will have a
misleading output anyway.

So why is the patch an improvement at all?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs