Re: [Bug]: mtd: onenand: omap2plus: kernel panic with OneNAND on OMAP3 (DM3730) device GTA04A5

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Date: Thu Apr 12 2018 - 11:51:51 EST

Hi Tony,

> Am 12.04.2018 um 17:03 schrieb Tony Lindgren <tony@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> * H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [180411 07:05]:
>>> Am 10.04.2018 um 22:56 schrieb Ladislav Michl <ladis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Well, that's a shame... However, this code is in production for several
>>> months now,
>>
>> Well, we could have tested earlier release-candidates...
>
> I've found it's way easier to test Linux next on regular basis
> and report the regressions compared to chasing regressions after
> the merge window or tagged kernels. By that time you may have
> already multiple regressions to deal with which is always fun.
>
> If you have products running with mainline kernel, maybe set up
> automated boot testing for core devices to catch regressions
> early?

Well, it is rare that we face upstream regressions of this severe
kind. Every 2-3 years... We much more often have to face missing
features in upstream so that we add our own patch sets on top
of each -rc.

In this case here we could have found this right after the merge window
when v4.16-rc1 came out. But by bad chance (and holidays and other
more important tasks) we did only test on GTA04 boards with standard
NAND. And just now did boot a board with OneNAND installed and were
surprised by this boot problem.

BR,
Nikolaus