Re: [RFC v2] virtio: support packed ring

From: Jason Wang
Date: Mon Apr 23 2018 - 21:14:55 EST

On 2018å04æ24æ 09:05, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
+ if (vq->indirect) {
+ u32 len;
+
+ desc = vq->desc_state[head].indir_desc;
+ /* Free the indirect table, if any, now that it's unmapped. */
+ if (!desc)
+ goto out;
+
+ len = virtio32_to_cpu(vq->vq.vdev,
+ vq->vring_packed.desc[head].len);
+
+ BUG_ON(!(vq->vring_packed.desc[head].flags &
+ cpu_to_virtio16(vq->vq.vdev, VRING_DESC_F_INDIRECT)));
It looks to me spec does not force to keep VRING_DESC_F_INDIRECT here. So we
can safely remove this BUG_ON() here.

+ BUG_ON(len == 0 || len % sizeof(struct vring_packed_desc));
Len could be ignored for used descriptor according to the spec, so we need
remove this BUG_ON() too.
Yeah, you're right! The BUG_ON() isn't right. I'll remove it.
And I think something related to this in the spec isn't very
clear currently.

In the spec, there are below words:

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/blob/d4fec517dfcf/packed-ring.tex#L272
"""
In descriptors with VIRTQ_DESC_F_INDIRECT set VIRTQ_DESC_F_WRITE
is reserved and is ignored by the device.
"""

So when device writes back an used descriptor in this case,
device may not set the VIRTQ_DESC_F_WRITE flag as the flag
is reserved and should be ignored.

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/blob/d4fec517dfcf/packed-ring.tex#L170
"""
Element Length is reserved for used descriptors without the
VIRTQ_DESC_F_WRITE flag, and is ignored by drivers.
"""

And this is the way how driver ignores the `len` in an used
descriptor.

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/blob/d4fec517dfcf/packed-ring.tex#L241
"""
To increase ring capacity the driver can store a (read-only
by the device) table of indirect descriptors anywhere in memory,
and insert a descriptor in the main virtqueue (with \field{Flags}
bit VIRTQ_DESC_F_INDIRECT on) that refers to a buffer element
containing this indirect descriptor table;
"""

So the indirect descriptors in the table are read-only by
the device. And the only descriptor which is writeable by
the device is the descriptor in the main virtqueue (with
Flags bit VIRTQ_DESC_F_INDIRECT on). So if we ignore the
`len` in this descriptor, we won't be able to get the
length of the data written by the device.

So I think the `len` in this descriptor will carry the
length of the data written by the device (if the buffers
are writable to the device) even if the VIRTQ_DESC_F_WRITE
isn't set by the device. How do you think?
Yes I think so. But we'd better need clarification from Michael.
I think if you use a descriptor, and you want to supply len
to guest, you set VIRTQ_DESC_F_WRITE in the used descriptor.
Spec also says you must not set VIRTQ_DESC_F_INDIRECT then.
If that's a problem we could look at relaxing that last requirement -
does driver want INDIRECT in used descriptor to match
the value in the avail descriptor for some reason?

Looks not, so what I get it:

- device and set VIRTQ_DESC_F_WRITE flag for used descriptor when needed
- there no need to keep INDIRECT flag in used descriptor

So for the above case, we can just have a used descriptor with _F_WRITE but without INDIRECT flag.

Thanks