Re: Lack of suspend/resume/shutdown ordering between GPIO providers and consumers

From: Grygorii Strashko
Date: Wed Apr 25 2018 - 15:30:23 EST

On 04/25/2018 02:10 PM, Grygorii Strashko wrote:

On 04/25/2018 01:57 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
On 04/25/2018 11:47 AM, Grygorii Strashko wrote:

On 04/25/2018 01:29 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
On 04/25/2018 11:06 AM, Grygorii Strashko wrote:

On 04/24/2018 05:58 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
Hi Linus, Rafael, all

Our GPIO controller driver: gpio-brcmstb.c has a shutdown callback
which
gets invoked when the system is brought into poweroff aka S5. So far so
good, except that we also wish to use gpio_keys.c as a possible wake-up
source, so we may have a number of GPIO pins declared as gpio-keys that
allow the system to wake-up from deep slumber.

Recently we noticed that we could easily get into a state where
gpio-brcmstb.c::brcmstb_gpio_shutdown() gets called first, and then
gpio_keys.c::gpio_keys_suspend() gets called later, which is too
late to
have the enable_irq_wake() call do anything sensible since we have
suspend its parent interrupt controller before. This is completely
expected unfortunately because these two drivers are both platform
device instances with no connection to one another except via Device
Tree and the use of the GPIOLIB APIs.

You can take a look at device_link_add() and Co.

OK, though that requires a struct device references, so while I could
certainly resolve the device_node -> struct device that corresponds to
the GPIO provider , that poses a number of issues:

- not all struct device_node have a corresponding struct device
reference (e.g: clock providers, interrupt controllers, and possibly
other custom drivers), though in this case, they most likely do have one

- resolving a struct device associated with a struct device_node is
often done in a "bus" specific way, e.g: of_find_device_by_node(), so if
the GPIO provider is e.g: i2c_device, pci_device etc. etc. this might
not work that easily

I think this is what Dmitry just indicated in his email as well.

But it's little bit unclear what exactly you have issue with:
- shutdown
- suspend

above are different (at least as it was before) and gpio-brcmstb.c
ÂÂbrcmstb_gpio_shutdown() should not be called as part of suspend !?
may be you mean brcmstb_gpio_suspend?

The issue exists with shutdown (through the use of "poweroff"), that is
confirmed, but I cannot see how it does not exist with any suspend state
as well, for the same reason that the ordering is not strictly enforced.

Sry, but it still required some clarification :( - poweroff calls
device_shutdown() which, in turn, should not call .suspend(), so
how have you got both .shutdown() and .suspend() callbacks called during
poweroff? Am I missing smth?

You are missing me telling you the whole story, sorry I got confused,
but you are absolutely right these are separate lists and on
poweroff/shutdown only ->shutdown() is called. What I had missed in the
report I was submitted was that there was a .shutdown() callback being
added to gpio_keys.c, which of course, because it's an Android based
project is not in the upstream Linux kernel.

The problem does remain valid though AFAICT. Thanks Grygorii!

Thanks. But that means you should not see this problem :(
There is devices_kset_move_last() call in really_probe() which moves probed dev
at the end of kset, and gpio_keys should never be probed before gpio-brcmstb because
both devm_fwnode_get_gpiod_from_child() and devm_gpio_request_one() expected to return
-EPROBE_DEFER otherwise.

Theoretically issue still might happen with suspend.

FYI https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/9/10/218

--
regards,
-grygorii