Re: Moving unmaintained filesystems to staging

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue May 01 2018 - 06:14:42 EST

On Sun 2018-04-29 16:37:37, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:07:26PM +0200, Ondrej Zary wrote:

> > > Staging is used for getting code _out_ of the kernel tree as well as
> > > _in_. We use it all the time to move code there, see if anyone shows up
> > > in 6-8 months to say "I will fix this!", and if not, we delete it.
> > >
> > > Look at what just happened to IRDA in the 4.17-rc1 release as an example
> > > of this.
> >
> > Really a "great" example of deleting working code :(
>
> What do you mean? The irda code was broken and not working at all.
> There were loads of bug reports about it for years, with no developers
> or maintainers willing to do the work on it to get it to actually work
> again.
>
> If someone does want to step up and do it, great! It's a simple revert
> of two git commits and they are back in business.

> Dropping code from the tree is not like it is gone for forever. If
> someone wants to pick it up, it is trivial to do so.

That is a lie and you know it.

In particular, having code moved to staging means it is going to
bitrot, because it will not be updated with global changes.

Plus coding standards change over time, so if you simply revert,
you'll not be able to simply merge it back.

Plus that revert means bisection is no longer easy/possible to find
the real breakages.

Pavel