Re: NVMe Poll CQ on timeout

From: Keith Busch
Date: Mon May 07 2018 - 12:00:36 EST

On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 06:57:54AM +0000, Bharat Kumar Gogada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any inputs ?

Hi,

I recall we did observe issues like this when legacy interrupts were
used, so the driver does try to use MSI/MSIx if possible.

The nvme_timeout() is called from the block layer when the driver didn't
provide a completion within the timeout (default is 30 seconds for IO,
60 seconds for admin).

This message you're seeing means the device did indeed post a completion
queue entry for the timed out command, but the driver believes it was
never notified via interrupt to check the completion queue.

This means either one of two things happened: the interrupt was raised
prior to the completion queue entry being written, or the interrupt was
never raised in the first place.

It might be possible to determine which if you can read the values from
/proc/irq/<irq#>/spurious and see if the "last_unhandled" aligns with
the expected completion time.

Thanks,
Keith