Re: CONFIG_KCOV causing crash in svm_vcpu_run()

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Tue May 15 2018 - 01:34:16 EST

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 7:25 PM, Eric Biggers <ebiggers3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 07:14:41AM +0200, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
>> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 5:02 AM, Eric Biggers <ebiggers3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Sorry, messed up address for KVM mailing list. See message below.

>> If __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc() crashes, I would expect there must be
>> few more of them here:
>>
>> if (unlikely(!msr_write_intercepted(vcpu, MSR_IA32_SPEC_CTRL)))
>> svm->spec_ctrl = native_read_msr(MSR_IA32_SPEC_CTRL);
>>
>> if (svm->spec_ctrl)
>> native_wrmsrl(MSR_IA32_SPEC_CTRL, 0);
>>
>> Compiler inserts these callbacks into every basic block/edge.. Aren't there?
>>
>> Unfortunately we don't have an attribute that disables instrumentation
>> of a single function. This is currently possible only on file level.
>>

> Yes, due to the code dealing with MSR_IA32_SPEC_CTRL, there were several calls
> to __sanitizer_cov_trace_pc() before the write to MSR_GS_BASE. The patch I
> tested moves the write to MSR_GS_BASE to before all of them, so it's once again
> the first thing after the asm block. Again I'm not sure it's the proper
> solution, but it did make it stop crashing.

>From KCOV perspective:
This is definitely the simplest and less intrusive solution.
It's somewhat unreliable. But it's hard to tell if/when it will
actually break in practice. Compiler can decide to insert the callback
after asm block, or a branch can be added to wrmsrl (e.g. under some
debug config). More reliable solution would be to restore registers in
asm block itself, or move this to a separate file and disable
instrumentation of that file (though, will not save from non-inlined
wrmsrl). But again, the proposed solution may work well for the next
10 years, so additional complexity may not worth it.

Btw, I don't see anything about fs/gs in vmx_vcpu_run. Is it VMLAUNCH
that saves/restores them?