Re: `ucsi_acpi: probe of USBC000:00 failed with error -12` on Dell XPS 13 9370

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Wed May 16 2018 - 08:03:12 EST

Dear Heikki,

On 05/16/18 13:58, Heikki Krogerus wrote:

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:02:26AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 06:47:37PM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:

On 05/15/18 18:00, Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 04:34:03PM +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:

Linux 4.17-rc5 shows the error below on the Dell XPS 13 9370 with Debian
Sid/unstable.

```
[???]
[ 0.440240] usb: port power management may be unreliable
[ 0.441358] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 0.441367] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[ 0.441369] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[ 0.441383] ioremap error for 0x3f799000-0x3f79a000, requested 0x2, got
0x0
[ 0.441518] ucsi_acpi: probe of USBC000:00 failed with error -12
[???]
```

1. Are the ioremap and ucsi_acpi error related or is a separate report
needed?

The ioremap error is what causes ucsi_acpi to fail the probe call (-12
is "out of memory".)

2. Do you know the reason for the ucsi_acpi error?

the call to ioremap failed.

Does this device really have a working typec connector?

Just to avoid misunderstandings, no device was connected to the laptop
during my test.

But, from other boots, the Dell docking station TB16 kind of works with it,
so I???d say the USB Type-C connector is working.

Ok, good, this might just be the acpi tables not set up properly for
this type of connection. Odd that the tables show it should work,
Heikki should know more about this.

The firmware probable has not implemented UCSI on this board. I think
Dell always supplies the ACPI device node for UCSI in their acpi
tables. The _STA method in that device node is then used to inform the
OS if the interface exists or not. The return value for _STA comes
probable from BIOS, so this is most likely a BIOS problem.

Please note that UCSI will only supply status information to the
operating system, so the USB Type-C ports will function normally even
without it. The ports are handled in firmware on these platforms.

Paul, do you have the latest BIOS?

I had the latest firmware

> DMI: Dell Inc. XPS 13 9370/0F6P3V, BIOS 1.2.1 02/21/2018

until today, when 1.3.2 with the changes below was released [1].

Mario, itâd be great, if the Dell firmware team could start testing with Linux releases too to find such issues. Mario, could you please also check internally if the Dell firmware team is aware of the issues and can incorporate a fix. (I really wish the firmware would be free software, so that these issues could be fixed ourselves.)

Fixes & Enhancements
Fixes:
- Battery can't charge over 55%
- Incorrect Ctrl+Alt+Del log on message with HID Event filter driver
- Platform can't boot to the PXE boot environment in Legacy mode via DA300
- Correct the flash utility string typo
- PCIE Card error shows in Support Assist Tool
- Fail 'PCR1 changed' msg prompt in CMD during running TPM PCR cycles in OS
- The PCI-to-PCI Bridge will lost while connecting to Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB18
- Adjust fan speed
- Skips keys when typing fast

Enhancements:
- None

Itâll take me up to some days to get my hands on the device again. But the update should be easy enough thanks to Dell supporting fwupd with UEFI Capsule and uploading their updates to the Linux Vendor Firmware Service [2].

Kind regards,

Paul

[1] http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=VF23P
[2] https://fwupd.org/