RE: `ucsi_acpi: probe of USBC000:00 failed with error -12` on Dell XPS 13 9370

From: Mario.Limonciello
Date: Wed May 16 2018 - 11:41:17 EST

Heikki,

I confirmed with internal team that UCSI is implemented on XPS 9370
and was confirmed to be working properly with Windows 10 RS2+.

The reason that _STA is responding on this device node now but wasn't
previously is it wasn't exposed in Linux until 4.16 when the Win 10 RS2
OSI string started to respond.

Intel should internally have some XPS 9370 you can remotely access if
you would like to poke around ACPI tables some.

> Please note that UCSI will only supply status information to the
> operating system, so the USB Type-C ports will function normally even
> without it. The ports are handled in firmware on these platforms.
>
> Paul, do you have the latest BIOS?

> > > Sorry for being ignorant, but could you please tell me what normal USB
> > > devices are?
> >
> > If you plug a USB typeC device into this port, does it work? A docking
> > station is a little bit "different" in that it usually uses the PCIe
> > connection, not the USB connectors. Or at least that's how my Dell
> > docking station works last time I tried it[1]

I think the best description here is "Non-Thunderbolt" USB type C device.
Some examples:
There are Dell docking stations with Thunderbolt (TB16) or without (WD15).

You can also pick up little dongles for ethernet or combo dongles for
ethernet/VGA/HDMI/etc.

Anything non-Thunderbolt would satisfy what Greg was looking for.

> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
> >
> > [1] When the power supply for the docking station is bigger than the
> > laptop's power supply, you begin to wonder what is in that thing and
> > stop using it after a while...

Mostly to satisfy letting the docking station work with beefier machines and
still deliver power up to what USB PD will negotiate.
I think they can actually run with smaller power supplies but you will need
something "a little" bigger than regular system power supply to power the
dock and system both.