Re: uImage target support on arm64

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Fri May 25 2018 - 07:56:00 EST

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 11:17:19PM +0300, Ramon Fried wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:34 PM, Baruch Siach <baruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Ramon,
> >
> > On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:05:15PM +0300, Ramon Fried wrote:
> >> I've noticed that it's not supported.
> >> Is it on purpose ?
> >
> > Yes. The 32bit load address in the uImage header in pretty limited when
> > applied to 64bit ARM64. Even for ARM zImage is the preferred kernel format for
> > quite some time now, since it allows flexible load address, as well as
> > multi-platform kernels.
> Hi Baruch.
> I though that in terms of U-boot, the new FIT image is the preferred
> kernel format.

u-boot keeps inventing new image formats for itself that are specific
to u-boot. Not every boot loader is u-boot.

For 32-bit ARM, zImage has _always_ since day one been the preferred
format.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 8.8Mbps down 630kbps up