Re: Spectre mitigation doesn't seem to work at all?!

From: Andreas Hartmann
Date: Mon Jun 04 2018 - 04:57:39 EST

Hello Peter,

thanks for your answer! I appreciate it!

On 06/04/2018 at 10:15 AM Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 02:19:38PM +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> I tested the spectre mitigation of different machines and kernels with
>> https://github.com/crozone/SpectrePoC
>>
>> You can see the results below.
>
>> My question: Did I miss something?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Build: ... INTEL_MITIGATION_DISABLED LINUX_KERNEL_MITIGATION_DISABLED
>> Build: ... INTEL_MITIGATION_DISABLED LINUX_KERNEL_MITIGATION_DISABLED
>> Build: ... INTEL_MITIGATION_DISABLED LINUX_KERNEL_MITIGATION_DISABLED
>
> ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
>
> The POC is a v1 on itself. V1 needs to be fixed for every individual
> executable (worse, for every individual location in the code, and we're
> still finding them). The kernel mitigation status for v1 only indicates
> the kernel itself has mitigations (for some locations).
>
> The POC is meant to test effectiveness of these mitigations, either the
> original LFENCE or the dependent instruction thing, but you have to
> enable one or the other.

Ok, this means every program running on the machine has to care itself
to be spectre v1 - safe.

A malicious program most probably won't care about that. Therefore, my
next question is: which memory regions can be exploited by a malicious
program? The complete physical memory or only the memory provided to the
malicious program? Should be the latter if this approach should have any
impact.

Thanks,
Andreas