Re: [RFC 0/1] mconf: Emacs-like isearch

From: Masahiro Yamada
Date: Wed Jun 06 2018 - 22:04:11 EST

> Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I use Emacs, but I have never typed Ctrl-s in menuconfig.

Is it important to use the same key pattern as in Emacs?

You intercepted Ctrl-*

Currently, Ctrl-C terminates the program,
but this patch makes it no-op.

>>> "de" (with my .config) causes a match for "Device Drivers" --
>>> no other menu entry matching the string "de" is befor that entry.
>>>

>> Device Drivers is the first match for me also.
>>
>> To get to the USB drivers, I have to enter:
>> CTRL-s de ENTER ENTER CTRL-s usb ENTER ENTER
>
> Yes, I left out the second CTRL-s, thank you!
>
> Oh well, I shouldn't have sent this late at night, then I would probably
> have explained the needed input as:
>
> 1) CTRL-s // start isearch
> 2) de // substring that matches "Device Drivers"
> 3) ENTER // quit isearch
> 4) ENTER // enter Device Drivers menu
> 5) CTRL-s // start isearch
> 6) usb // navigate to USB support
> 7) ENTER // quit isearch
> 8) ENTER // enter USB support menu

Hmm.

I tried this, but I was a bit annoyed.

I wonder if this could be more user-friendly.

For example, I want KEY_UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT
to quit the search mode without pressing ENTER.