Re: dm bufio: Reduce dm_bufio_lock contention

From: Mikulas Patocka
Date: Fri Jun 15 2018 - 07:35:19 EST

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018, Michal Hocko wrote:

> On Thu 14-06-18 14:34:06, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2018, Michal Hocko wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu 14-06-18 15:18:58, jing xia wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > This trace doesn't provide the full picture unfortunately. Waiting in
> > > the direct reclaim means that the underlying bdi is congested. The real
> > > question is why it doesn't flush IO in time.
> >
> > I pointed this out two years ago and you just refused to fix it:
> > http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1608.1/04507.html
>
> Let me be evil again and let me quote the old discussion:
> : > I agree that mempool_alloc should _primarily_ sleep on their own
> : > throttling mechanism. I am not questioning that. I am just saying that
> : > the page allocator has its own throttling which it relies on and that
> : > cannot be just ignored because that might have other undesirable side
> : > effects. So if the right approach is really to never throttle certain
> : > requests then we have to bail out from a congested nodes/zones as soon
> : > as the congestion is detected.
> : >
> : > Now, I would like to see that something like that is _really_ necessary.
> :
> : Currently, it is not a problem - device mapper reports the device as
> : congested only if the underlying physical disks are congested.
> :
> : But once we change it so that device mapper reports congested state on its
> : own (when it has too many bios in progress), this starts being a problem.
>
> So has this changed since then? If yes then we can think of a proper
> solution but that would require to actually describe why we see the
> congestion, why it does help to wait on the caller rather than the
> allocator etc...

Device mapper doesn't report congested state - but something else does
(perhaps the user inserted a cheap slow usb stick or sdcard?). And device
mapper is just a victim of that.

Why should device mapper sleep because some other random block device is
congested?

> Throwing statements like ...
>
> > I'm sure you'll come up with another creative excuse why GFP_NORETRY
> > allocations need incur deliberate 100ms delays in block device drivers.
>
> ... is not really productive. I've tried to explain why I am not _sure_ what
> possible side effects such a change might have and your hand waving
> didn't really convince me. MD is not the only user of the page
> allocator...
>
> E.g. why has 41c73a49df31 ("dm bufio: drop the lock when doing GFP_NOIO
> allocation") even added GFP_NOIO request in the first place when you
> keep retrying and sleep yourself?

Because mempool uses it. Mempool uses allocations with "GFP_NOIO |
__GFP_NORETRY | __GFP_NOMEMALLOC | __GFP_NOWARN". An so dm-bufio uses
these flags too. dm-bufio is just a big mempool.

If you argue that these flags are incorrect - then fix mempool_alloc.

> The changelog only describes what but
> doesn't explain why. Or did I misread the code and this is not the
> allocation which is stalling due to congestion?

Mikulas