Re: Possible regression in "slab, slub: skip unnecessary kasan_cache_shutdown()"

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Tue Jun 19 2018 - 00:55:56 EST

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 6:08 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 5:59 AM Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Jason, yes please do send me the test suite with the kernel config.
>
> $ git clone https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard
> $ cd WireGuard/src
> $ [[ $(gcc -v 2>&1) =~ gcc\ version\ 8\.1\.0 ]] || echo crash needs 8.1
> $ export DEBUG_KERNEL=yes
> $ export KERNEL_VERSION=4.18-rc1
> $ make test-qemu -j$(nproc)
>
> This will build a kernel and a minimal userland and load it in qemu,
> which must be installed.
>
> This code is what causes the crash:
> The self test that's executed:
> https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/tree/src/selftest/ratelimiter.h
> Which exercises this code:
> https://git.zx2c4.com/WireGuard/tree/src/ratelimiter.c
>
> The problem occurs after gc_entries(NULL) frees things (line 124 in
> ratelimiter.h above), and then line 133 reallocates those objects.
> Sometime after that happens, elsewhere in the kernel invokes this
> kasan issue in the kasan cache cleanup.
>
> I realize it's disappointing that the test case here is in WireGuard,
> which isn't (yet!) upstream. That's why in my original message I
> wrote:
>
>> Rather, it looks like this
>> commit introduces a performance optimization, rather than a
>> correctness fix, so it seems that whatever test case is failing is
>> likely an incorrect failure. Does that seem like an accurate
>> possibility to you?
>
> I was hoping to only point you toward my own code after establishing
> the possibility that the bug is not my own. If you still think there's
> a chance this is due to my own correctness issue, and your commit has
> simply unearthed it, let me know and I'll happily keep debugging on my
> own before pinging you further.

Hi Jason,

Your code frees all entries before freeing the cache, right? If you
add total_entries check before freeing the cache, it does not fire,
right?
Are you using SLAB or SLUB? We stress kernel pretty heavily, but with
SLAB, and I suspect Shakeel may also be using SLAB. So if you are
using SLUB, there is significant chance that it's a bug in the SLUB
part of the change.