Re: uio regression in 4.18-rc1 due to "uio: Prevent device destruction while fds are open"

From: Hamish Martin
Date: Wed Jun 20 2018 - 18:00:42 EST

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reporting this problem with my patch.

To be honest I'm possibly out of my depth here. I gather doing things
like sleeping and memory allocation are a big no-no when under spin_lock
and I take your point that it is not realistic to expect all the
callouts from the various uio_fops to know or respect that they might be
under a spin_lock.

I'd take your advise on whether altering the type of locking used around
accesses to the 'info' member of struct uio_device might be a path
forward here or is likely to lead to similar or worse issues. For
example could we change the spin_lock to something more heavyweight like
a mutex?

My idea of completing Brian Russell's work by introducing this locking
construct is also possibly the wrong approach. It seems nice that we can
make the uio core cope with the disappearance of the uio_info memory
that the info member points to, but I'm beginning to think that we
should consider a more fundamental change to allow the uio core to
control the life cycle of that uio_info structure. This spin_lock idea
seemed like a clean way of avoiding that, but perhaps we just need to
lance that boil in a more wide-ranging fashion and accept the
consequences such as breaking out-of-tree drivers. Such a wide ranging
change would be better done out of the release period and reverting this
change would be the best response to this regression for 4.18.

If anyone else wants to weigh in here please do so.

Thanks,
Hamish M.