Re: [4.17 regression] Performance drop on kernel-4.17 visible on Stream, Linpack and NAS parallel benchmarks

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Thu Jun 21 2018 - 05:23:40 EST

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 07:25:19PM +0200, Jirka Hladky wrote:
> Hi Mel and others,
>
> I would like to let you know that I have tested following patch

Understood. FWIW, there is a lot in flight at the moment but the first
likely patch is removing rate limiting entirely and see what falls out.
The rest of the experiment series deals with fast-scan-start, reset of
preferred_nid on cross-node load balancing and dealing with THP false
sharing but it's all preliminary and untested.

Furthermore, matters have been complicated by the posting of "Fixes for
sched/numa_balancing". My own testing indicates that this helped which
means that I need to review this first and then rebase anything else on
top of it.

I would also suggest you test that series paying particular attention to
whether it a) improves performance and b) how close it gets to the
revert in terms of overall performance.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs