Re: Add system timer driver for Mediatek SoCs

From: Stanley Chu
Date: Mon Jun 25 2018 - 05:07:22 EST

On Mon, 2018-06-25 at 09:34 +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 25/06/2018 09:09, Stanley Chu wrote:
> > This patch adds a new driver for system timer on the Mediatek SoCs.
>
> Please elaborate why we need yet another timer.
>
> Is this timer present on all Mediatek platform ? Does it always co-exist
> with the existing one ?

Hi Daniel,

This new "system timer" only exists on recent Mediatek platforms,
for example, MT6765. We will upstream driver first, and then update
device tree on MT6765 later.

System timer is designed and optimized as a SoC timer for
tick-broadcasting. Besides timer IP has simpler register manipulation
and friendly low-power design.

There is no plan to remove existed "General Purpose Timer" now.

Thanks.
Stanley Chu