Re: [REGRESSION 4.17] Spurious wakeup / reboot with power button

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Thu Jul 05 2018 - 05:50:18 EST

On Thu, 05 Jul 2018 11:34:59 +0200,
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 9:05 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we've got a regression report since 4.17 about the behavior of
> > power-off with the power button. When a machine is powered off with
> > the power button on desktop, it reboots after a few seconds instead of
> > power down.
> >
> > The manual power down via "systemctl poweroff" works fine, so it's
> > possibly some spurious wakeup by the power button action, and some
> > ACPI-related change is suspected.
> > The regression still remains in 4.18-rc3.
>
> There are only a few ACPI commits directly related to power management
> between 4.16 and 4.17 and none of them looks particularly suspicious.

OK, interesting.

> It looks like the power button state may not be cleared sufficiently
> after it's been pressed which is now visible for some reason.

Hmm, where can such a state remain? Since it happens after the
machine turned off, some (ACPI) wakeup bits?

> How does the button poweroff work, exactly? I guess the event is
> collected by a user space demon which then triggers power of via sysfs
> or similar?

Usually X desktop environment receives an input event from the ACPI
power button input device, and deals the event accordingly depending
on the setup. The power-down behavior itself should be equivalent
with "systemctl poweroff" or such.

thanks,

Takashi