Re: kconfig usage in automatic kernel test

From: Masahiro Yamada
Date: Sat Jul 07 2018 - 22:16:25 EST

> Masahiro-san,
>
> I am writing some utility for internal kdump test with latest kernel,
> my purpose is to test the new introduced kernel feature. For automatical
> test, I see several config target could help, like olddefconfig, all*config.
>
> But for my purpose, I don't find a good way. For example, olddefconfig
> will let the now config item has default value, while some feature may
> default to "N"; allyesconfig will slow the compilation notably.
> But "all*config" has KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG help to customizing some config
> item, that is a good utility, but seems it can't be used in olddefconfig.
>
> All these things let me have 2 questions:
>
> 1. What would you suggest for my purpose?

scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh
can be used with any *config target.

If you want to tweak some symbols based on olddefconfig,
this could be the one you want.

> 2. allyesconfig, allmodconfig, randconfig seems useful for test kbuild,
> but what's the purpose of allnoconfig, alldefconfig? In others words,
> when people would need allnoconfig, alldefconfig?

I sometimes use allnoconfig for build testing.

When I want to test the whole build process quickly,
I disable as many drivers as possible to save time.

I do not use alldefconfig.
Anyway, it would not hurt to have it for completeness.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada