Re: Re: [GIT PULL] SCSI fixes for 4.18-rc3

From: Tony Battersby
Date: Tue Jul 10 2018 - 18:12:11 EST

At my job (https://www.cybernetics.com/), I use the write()/read()
interface to the SCSI generic driver for access to tape drives and tape
medium changers. For example, the write()/read() interface is useful
for implementing RAID-like functionality for tape drives since a single
thread can send commands to multiple tape drives at once and poll() for
command completion. We have a lot of code invested in this interface,
so it would be a huge pain for us if it were removed. But in our case,
everything runs as root (as the firmware of an embedded storage
appliance), so extra permission checks should be OK.

Tony Battersby
Cybernetics