Re: [RFC v4 0/3] mm: zap pages with read mmap_sem in munmap for large mapping

From: Kirill A. Shutemov
Date: Wed Jul 11 2018 - 07:11:01 EST

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 07:34:06AM +0800, Yang Shi wrote:

> Background:
> Recently, when we ran some vm scalability tests on machines with large memory,
> we ran into a couple of mmap_sem scalability issues when unmapping large memory
> space, please refer to https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/14/733 and
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/20/576.
>

> History:
> Then akpm suggested to unmap large mapping section by section and drop mmap_sem
> at a time to mitigate it (see https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/6/784).
>
> V1 patch series was submitted to the mailing list per Andrew's suggestion
> (see https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/20/786). Then I received a lot great feedback
> and suggestions.
>
> Then this topic was discussed on LSFMM summit 2018. In the summit, Michal Hocko
> suggested (also in the v1 patches review) to try "two phases" approach. Zapping
> pages with read mmap_sem, then doing via cleanup with write mmap_sem (for
> discussion detail, see https://lwn.net/Articles/753269/)
>

> Approach:
> Zapping pages is the most time consuming part, according to the suggestion from
> Michal Hocko [1], zapping pages can be done with holding read mmap_sem, like
> what MADV_DONTNEED does. Then re-acquire write mmap_sem to cleanup vmas.
>
> But, we can't call MADV_DONTNEED directly, since there are two major drawbacks:
> * The unexpected state from PF if it wins the race in the middle of munmap.
> It may return zero page, instead of the content or SIGSEGV.
> * Canât handle VM_LOCKED | VM_HUGETLB | VM_PFNMAP and uprobe mappings, which
> is a showstopper from akpm
>
> And, some part may need write mmap_sem, for example, vma splitting. So, the
> design is as follows:
> acquire write mmap_sem
> lookup vmas (find and split vmas)
> set VM_DEAD flags
> deal with special mappings
> downgrade_write
>
> zap pages
> release mmap_sem
>
> retake mmap_sem exclusively
> cleanup vmas
> release mmap_sem
>
> Define large mapping size thresh as PUD size, just zap pages with read mmap_sem
> for mappings which are >= PUD_SIZE. So, unmapping less than PUD_SIZE area still
> goes with the regular path.
>
> All vmas which will be zapped soon will have VM_DEAD flag set. Since PF may race
> with munmap, may just return the right content or SIGSEGV before the optimization,
> but with the optimization, it may return a zero page. Here use this flag to mark
> PF to this area is unstable, will trigger SIGSEGV, in order to prevent from the
> unexpected 3rd state.
>
> If the vma has VM_LOCKED | VM_HUGETLB | VM_PFNMAP or uprobe, they are considered
> as special mappings. They will be dealt with before zapping pages with write
> mmap_sem held. Basically, just update vm_flags. The actual unmapping is still
> done with read mmap_sem.

> [...]

I still see VM_DEAD as unnecessary complication. We should be fine without it.
But looks like I'm in the minority :/

It's okay. I have another suggestion that also doesn't require VM_DEAD
trick too :)

1. Take mmap_sem for write;
2. Adjust VMA layout (split/remove). After the step all memory we try to
unmap is outside any VMA.
3. Downgrade mmap_sem to read.
4. Zap the page range.
5. Drop mmap_sem.

I believe it should be safe.

The pages in the range cannot be re-faulted after step 3 as find_vma()
will not see the corresponding VMA and deliver SIGSEGV.

New VMAs cannot be created in the range before step 5 since we hold the
semaphore at least for read the whole time.

Do you see problem in this approach?

--
Kirill A. Shutemov