Re: Bug report about KASLR and ZONE_MOVABLE

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Mon Jul 16 2018 - 07:38:50 EST

On Fri 13-07-18 07:52:40, Baoquan He wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> On 07/12/18 at 02:32pm, Michal Hocko wrote:
[...]
> > I am not able to find the beginning of the email thread right now. Could
> > you summarize what is the actual problem please?
>
> The bug is found on x86 now.
>
> When added "kernelcore=" or "movablecore=" into kernel command line,
> kernel memory is spread evenly among nodes. However, this is right when
> KASLR is not enabled, then kernel will be at 16M of place in x86 arch.
> If KASLR enabled, it could be put any place from 16M to 64T randomly.
>
> Consider a scenario, we have 10 nodes, and each node has 20G memory, and
> we specify "kernelcore=50%", means each node will take 10G for
> kernelcore, 10G for movable area. But this doesn't take kernel position
> into consideration. E.g if kernel is put at 15G of 2nd node, namely
> node1. Then we think on node1 there's 10G for kernelcore, 10G for
> movable, in fact there's only 5G available for movable, just after
> kernel.

OK, I guess I see that part. But who is going to use movablecore along
with KASLR enabled? I mean do we really have to support those two
obscure command line parameters for KASLR?

In fact I would be much more concerned about memory hotplug and
pre-defined movable nodes. Does the current KASLR code work in that
case?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs