Re: Linux 4.18-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jul 23 2018 - 16:56:34 EST

Adding davem for the sparc issue, Martin for the s390 one.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 1:46 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The s390 gcc plugins related build error reported previously has not really
> been fixed; after feedback from the s390 maintainers, suggesting that it
> won't get fixed in 4.18, I disabled GCC_PLUGINS for s390 builds. This is
> not my preferred solution, but it beats not testing s390:allmodconfig
> builds at all.

Martin - can we just remove the

select HAVE_GCC_PLUGINS

from the s390 Kconfig file (or perhaps add "if BROKEN" or something to
disable it).

Because if it's not getting fixed, it shouldn't be exposed.

> The sparc32 build error is still:
>
> In file included from
> from drivers/staging/media/omap4iss/iss_video.c:15:
> include/linux/highmem.h: In function 'clear_user_highpage':
> include/linux/highmem.h:137:31: error:
> passing argument 1 of 'sparc_flush_page_to_ram' from incompatible pointer type
>
> due to a missing declaration of 'struct page', as previously reported.

Hmm. I assume it's

arch/sparc/include/asm/cacheflush_32.h

that wants a forward-declaration of 'struct page', and doesn't include
any header files.

The fix is presumably to move the

#include <asm/cacheflush.h>

in drivers/staging/media/omap4iss/iss_video.c down to below the
<linux/*> includes?

The old patchwork link you had for a fix no longer works, I think
because the patchwork database got re-generated during the upgrade
(and the patchwork numbering isn't stable).

Davem?

Linus