Re: Linux 4.18-rc6

From: Martin Schwidefsky
Date: Tue Jul 24 2018 - 02:19:00 EST

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 16:17:22 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 2:23 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > Martin - can we just remove the
> > >
> > > select HAVE_GCC_PLUGINS
> > >
> > > from the s390 Kconfig file (or perhaps add "if BROKEN" or something to
> > > disable it).
> > >
> > > Because if it's not getting fixed, it shouldn't be exposed.
> > >
> > The problem only affects 4.18 - the code has been rearranged in -next.
> > Only, in my builders, I can't disable a flag for individual releases,
> > so I just disabled it completely for s390.
>
> Well, I'm not going to release a 4.18 with a known problem, so in 4.18
> this *will* be disabled if it's not fixed.
>
> The fact that it might be fixed in linux-next is entirely immaterial
> to the release of 4.18.

Ok, if gcc with the plugins and an allmodconfig is considered to be
important enough to warrant a fix, it can be pulled from here:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/s390/linux.git for-linus

Martin Schwidefsky (1):
s390: disable gcc plugins

Once that is in I will create another patch to undo this one and place
it after the early boot rework.

--
blue skies,
Martin.