Re: INFO: task hung in fuse_reverse_inval_entry

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Tue Jul 24 2018 - 11:18:03 EST

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 5:19 PM, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I proposed to abort fuse conn when all fuse device fd's are "killed"
>>> (all processes having the fd opened are killed). So if _only_ process
>>> B is killed, then, yes, it will still hang. However if A is killed or
>>> both A and B (say, process group, everything inside of pid namespace,
>>> etc) then the deadlock will be autoresolved without human
>>> intervention.
>>
>> Okay, so you're saying:
>>
>> 1) when process gets SIGKILL and is uninterruptible sleep mark process as doomed
>> 2) for a particular fuse instance find set of fuse device fd
>> references that are in non-doomed tasks; if there are none then abort
>> fuse instance
>>
>> Right?
>

> Yes, something like this.
> Perhaps checking for "uninterruptible sleep" is excessive. If it has
> SIGKILL pending it's pretty much doomed already. This info should be
> already available for tasks.
> Not saying that it's better, but what I described was the other way
> around: when a task killed it drops a reference to all opened fuse
> fds, when the last fd is dropped, the connection can be aborted.

struct task_struct {
[...]
struct files_struct *files;
[...]
};

struct files_struct {
[...]
struct fdtable __rcu *fdt;
[...]
};

struct fdtable {
[...]
struct file __rcu **fd; /* current fd array */
[...]
};

So there we have an array of pointers to struct files. Suppose we'd
magically be able to find files that point to fuse devices upon
receiving SIGKILL, what would we do with them? We can't close them:
other tasks might still be pointing to the same files_struct.

We could do a global search for non-doomed tasks referencing the same
fuse device, but I have no clue how we'd go about doing that without
racing with forks, fd sending, etc...

Thanks,
Miklos