RE: framebuffer corruption due to overlapping stp instructions on arm64

From: Mikulas Patocka
Date: Sun Aug 05 2018 - 10:36:10 EST

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018, David Laight wrote:

> [...]

There's an instruction movntdqa (and vmovntdqa) that can actually do
prefetch on write-combining memory type. It's the only instruction that
can do it.

It this instruction is used on non-write-combining memory type, it behaves
like movdqa.

> are likely to be used for normal memory mapped io areas.
>
> David

I benchmarked it on a processor with ERMS - for writes to the framebuffer,
there's no difference between memcpy, 8-byte writes, rep stosb, rep stosq,
mmx, sse, avx - all this method achieve 16-17 GB/s

For reading from the framebuffer:
323 MB/s - memcpy (using avx2)
91 MB/s - explicit 8-byte reads
249 MB/s - rep movsq
307 MB/s - rep movsb
90 MB/s - mmx
176 MB/s - sse
4750 MB/s - sse movntdqa
330 MB/s - avx
5369 MB/s - avx vmovntdqa

So - it may make sense to introduce a function memcpy_from_framebuffer()
that uses movntdqa or vmovntdqa on CPUs that support it.

Mikulas