Re: framebuffer corruption due to overlapping stp instructions on arm64

From: Ard Biesheuvel
Date: Mon Aug 06 2018 - 05:11:43 EST

On 6 August 2018 at 10:44, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon 2018-08-06 09:04:33, Ramana Radhakrishnan wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 10:36 PM, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi!

>> > No, I don't think so. Why do you think so?
>>
>> It is undefined behaviour in the architecture.
>
> Why do you think so? Pointer to documentation would be helpful.
>
> Normal access is used for mmapped areas, and I don't think we want to
> change that.

Pavel,

In this context, 'device mapping' specifically means one of the
Device-{G,nG}{R,nR}{E,nE} mapping attributes as defined by the ARM
ARM, where G, R and E stand for Gathering, Reordering and Early
acknowledgement, respectively.

There is no disagreement whether memcpy() is suitable for such regions
- it is not. These mappings are intended for memory mapped device
registers, not for memory.

The issue under discussion here is whether PCIe can provide outbound
windows with true memory semantics, which is the assumption that is
present all throughout the Linux graphics stack.