Re: due to kconfig changes kernel config file is no longer sufficient for configuring the kernel

From: Michal Kubecek
Date: Mon Aug 06 2018 - 14:33:35 EST

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 05:02:42PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:

> For exmaple 'make ARCH=arm config' will create the config suitable
> only for ARM architecture.
> Then, you need to do 'make ARCH=arm' to build the kernel.
>
> If it is tedious to give 'ARCH=arm' to every make command,
> you can do 'export ARCH=arm' in your shell.
>
> Again, this is the behavior we have for a long time.

Actually, this no longer works reliably. For example, when I run

ARCH=powerpc make oldconfig

with our ppc64le config on x86_64 system, I get different result than
when I run it on an actual ppc64le system (or when using a ppc64le cross
compiler on x86_64).

Since .config started to mix user configuration and build environment
capabilities, maintaining distribution configs became real pain. And
it's getting progressively worse.

Michal Kubecek