Re: Current LTS and their EOL

From: Ben Hutchings
Date: Sat Aug 18 2018 - 14:53:24 EST

On Fri, 2018-08-17 at 23:48 +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 08:40:06AM -0700, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> > Hi Greg, Ben, and all
> >
> > Is https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html updated in terms of EOL?
>
> As of right now, for the kernels I maintain, yes, it is correct.
>
> > Some news out of Linaro conference [2] generated a lot of doubts and questions
> > around.
> >
> > Specially because on the way it was stated by the news 3.16 wouldn't be active
> > anymore. So I'm not sure about the news, but I'd like confirmation from you about
> > expected EOL.
>
> Linaro has nothing to do with the 3.16 kernel, so why are you confusing
> that with what was announced at that conference, which was about the 4.4
> kernel tree?

The article says that other longterm branches are only supported for 2
years - which has been your usual practice, but obviously doesn't
reflect what all stable maintainers have done.

I try to ensure that every stable branch used in a Debian release is
maintained for the lifetime of that Debian release. That means 5-6
years after the initial release of the kernel version. So far that has
included 2.6.32 (maintained by Willy Tarreau), 3.2 and 3.16 (maintained
by me).

In the latest release we used Linux 4.9 which currently has a stated
EOL of 2019. But I'm prepared to take on maintenance from that point
until June 2022. Greg, is that OK with you and should the EOL be
updated on that basis?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Who are all these weirdos? - David Bowie, on joining IRC