Re: TLB flushes on fixmap changes

From: Kees Cook
Date: Sun Aug 26 2018 - 18:10:04 EST

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Sorry, it looks like it was tglx, not Ingo:
>> >
>> > https://lkml.kernel.org/r/alpine.DEB.2.20.1704071048360.1716@nanos
>> >
>> > This thread is long, and one thing that I think went unanswered was
>> > "why do we want this to be fast?" the answer is: for doing page table
>> > updates. Page tables are becoming a bigger target for attacks now, and
>> > it's be nice if they could stay read-only unless they're getting
>> > updated (with something like this).
>> >

>> It kind of sounds like tglx would prefer the CR3 approach. And indeed my
>> patch has a serious problem wrt the NMI code.
>
> That's exactly the problem I have with CR0. It leaves everything and some
> more writeable for any code which can interrupt that section.

I thought the point was that the implementation I suggested was
NMI-proof? (And in reading Documentation/preempt-locking.txt it sounds
like disabling interrupts is redundant to preempt_disable()? But I
don't understand how; it looks like the preempt stuff is advisory?)

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Pixel Security