Locking for HW crypto accelerators

From: Krzysztof Kozlowski
Date: Thu Aug 30 2018 - 08:22:38 EST

Hi,

I am trying to figure out necessary locking on the driver side of
crypto HW accelerator for symmetric hash (actually: CRC). I
implemented quite simple driver for shash_alg.

I looked at the docs, I looked at the crypto kcapi core code... and
there is nothing about necessary locking. kcapi does not perform it.

My HW is quite similar to drivers/crypto/stm32/stm32_crc32.c so it has
only one HW set of registers for dealing with CRC. Or in other words,
only one queue of one element. :) I implemented all shash_alg
callbacks - init(), update(), final()... and also finup() (manually
calling update+final) and digest() (init+update+final).

Now imagine multiple user-space users of this crypto alg where all of
them call kcapi_md_digest() (so essentially init() -> update() ->
final()). It seems that kcapi does not perform any locking here so at
some point updates from different processes might be mixed with
finals:

Process A: Process B:
init()
init()
update()
update()
final()
final()

My findings show that the requests are indeed being mixed with each other...

Should driver perform any weird locking here? Or maybe that is the
case of using ONLY the digest() callback (so no update, no final)
because my HW cannot track different kcapi requests?

Best regards,
Krzysztof