Re: Locking for HW crypto accelerators

From: Stephan Mueller
Date: Thu Aug 30 2018 - 09:25:13 EST

Am Donnerstag, 30. August 2018, 15:09:05 CEST schrieb Krzysztof Kozlowski:

Hi Krzysztof,

> Thanks Stephan for hints. Let's assume the each of init, update and
> final are atomic... but how about the relation between update and
> final? I have two concurrent users in user-space but only one HW:
>
> Process A: Process B:
> init() and set_key()
> init() and different key
> update(some_data)
> update(different_data)
> final()
> final()
>
> The final() from process A will now produce the result of hashing/CRC
> of some_data and different_data (and even maybe mixed with init() for
> different key). All because in the meantime process B added its own
> data to the HW.

The question is where is the state of the cipher operation kept that is
produced with each of the init/update/final calls. Your answer implies that
this state is kept in hardware.

But commonly the state is kept in software. Look at ahash_request for example,
the __ctx pointer is intended to point to the memory the driver needs to store
its state.

Pick a random driver implementation and search for ahash_request_ctx, for
example.

> Best regards,
> Krzysztof

Ciao