Regression caused by commit 7bb05b85bc2d ("r8169: don't use MSI-X on RTL8106e")

From: Kai-Heng Feng
Date: Tue Sep 11 2018 - 23:42:21 EST

Hi Jian-Hong,

There's a Dell machine with RTL8106e stops to work after S3 since the commit introduced.
So I am wondering if it's possible to revert the commit and use DMI/subsystem id based quirk table?

It's because of commit bc976233a872 ("genirq/msi, x86/vector: Prevent reservation mode for non maskable MSI") cleared the reservation mode, and I can see this after S3:

[ 94.872838] do_IRQ: 3.33 No irq handler for vector

If the device uses MSI-X instead of MSI, the issue doesn't happen because of reservation mode.

Hi Thomas,

Is it something should be handled by x86 BIOS? Because I don't see this issue when I use Suspend-to-Idle, which doesn't use BIOS to do suspend.

Kai-Heng