arc vendor prefix

From: Brian Dodge
Date: Tue Sep 18 2018 - 21:05:27 EST

Hi,

In the linux kernel commit 91ab076e3a2f092254fe5231bbfa92b37fd52e38 the vendor prefix "arctic" was added to vendor-prefixes.txt.

The original change I authored used "arc" not "arctic", and the device tree bindings were added assuming that prefix in commit ce9d22573d85341c987f997461ac712e4dbe47b1

Perhaps odeju changed the name to arctic in the patch after I created it and before it was approved.

This pairing isn't really compatible is it? Either the prefix should be reverted to "arc" or the bindings (and driver source) changed to use "arctic", as in "arctic,arc2c0608" vs. "arc,arc2c0608"

The arcticsand company is now part of psemi (formerly peregrine semiconductor) and they would like to keep using the arc prefix for these chips and in the driver and I plan on changing the vendor-prefix.txt to reflect that.

I am in the process of updating the driver code to support different and new variants of the chip and would like to know what the preference is for this prefix going forward.

Thank you

Brian