Re: [RFC] memory_hotplug: Free pages as pageblock_order

From: Arun KS
Date: Tue Sep 18 2018 - 21:18:30 EST

On 2018-09-12 18:47, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Wed 12-09-18 22:57:43, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > >
> > > Where does the improvement come from? You are still doing the same
> > > amount of work except that the number of callbacks is lower. Is this the
> > > real source of 60% improvement?
> > >

> > It looks like only the first page of the pageblock is initialized, is
> > some of the cost amortized in terms of doing one initialization for
> > the page with order (order) and then relying on split_page and helpers
> > to do the rest? Of course the number of callbacks reduce by a
> > significant
> > number as well.
>
> Ohh, I have missed that part. Now when re-reading I can see the reason
> for the perf improvement. It is most likely the higher order free which
> ends up being much cheaper. This part makes some sense.
>
> How much is this feasible is another question. Do not forget we have
> those external providers of the online callback and those would need to
> be updated as well.
Sure Michal, I ll look into this.

> Btw. the normal memmap init code path does the same per-page free as
> well. If we really want to speed the hotplug path then I guess the init
> one would see a bigger improvement and those two should be in sync.
Thanks for pointers, Will look further.

I haven't looked closer and I will be travelling next week so just hint.
Have a look at the nobootmem and how it frees pages to the page
allocator in __free_pages_boot_core. Seems exactly what you want and it
also answers your question about reference counting.

Thanks Michal. Will send a new version after testing.

Regards,
Arun