Re: [RFC 00/20] ns: Introduce Time Namespace

From: Andrey Vagin
Date: Mon Sep 24 2018 - 21:45:15 EST

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 12:02:32AM +0200, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Andrey Vagin <avagin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> Overall I support this effort. In my quick skim this code looked good.
> >
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > Thank you for the feedback.
> >

> >> My feeling is that we need to be able to support running ntpd and
> >> support one namespace doing googles smoothing of leap seconds while
> >> another namespace takes the leap second.
> >>
> >> What I was imagining when I was last thinking about this was one
> >> instance of struct timekeeper aka tk_core per time namespace. That
> >> structure already keeps offsets for all of the various clocks from
> >> the kerne internal time sources. What would be needed would be to
> >> pass in an appropriate time namespace pointer.
> >>
> >> I could be completely wrong as I have not take the time to completely
> >> trace through the code. Have you looked at pushing the time namespace
> >> down as far as tk_core?
> >>
> >> What I think would be the big advantage (besides ntp working) is that
> >> the bulk of the code could be reused. Allowing testing of the kernel's
> >> time code by setting up a new time namespace. So a person in production
> >> could setup a time namespace with the time set ahead a little bit and
> >> be able to verify that the kernel handles the upcoming leap second
> >> properly.
> >>

> > It is an interesting idea, but I have a few questions:
> >
> > 1. Does it mean that timekeeping_update() will be called for each
> > namespace? This functions is called periodically, it updates times on the
> > timekeeper structure, updates vsyscall_gtod_data, etc. What will be an
> > overhead of this?
>
> I don't know if periodically is a proper characterization. There may be
> a code path that does that. But from what I can see timekeeping_update
> is the guts of settimeofday (and a few related functions).
>
> So it appears to make sense for timekeeping_update to be per namespace.
>
> Hmm. Looking at what is updated in the vsyscall_gtod_data it does
> look like you would have to periodically update things, but I don't know
> big that period would be. As long as the period is reasonably large,
> or the time namespaces were sufficiently deschronized it should not
> be a problem. But that is the class of problem that could make
> my ideal impractical if there is measuarable overhead.
>
> Where were you seeing timekeeping_update being called periodically?

timekeeping_update() is called HZ times per-second:

[ 67.912858] timekeeping_update.cold.26+0x5/0xa
[ 67.913332] timekeeping_advance+0x361/0x5c0
[ 67.913857] ? tick_sched_do_timer+0x55/0x70
[ 67.914409] ? tick_sched_do_timer+0x70/0x70
[ 67.914947] tick_sched_do_timer+0x55/0x70
[ 67.915505] tick_sched_timer+0x27/0x70
[ 67.916042] __hrtimer_run_queues+0x10f/0x440
[ 67.916639] hrtimer_interrupt+0x100/0x220
[ 67.917305] smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x79/0x220
[ 67.918030] apic_timer_interrupt+0xf/0x20

> > 2. What will we do with vdso? It looks like we will have to have a
> > separate vsyscall_gtod_data for each ns and update each of them
> > separately.
>
> Yes. But you don't have to have introduce another variable just make
> certain vsyscall_gtod_data is a page aligned thing per time namespace.
>
> If I read the summary of the existing patchset something very similiar
> is already going on.

I mean vsyscall_gtod_data has some data which are often updated. There
are timestamps for monotonic and wall clocks. clock_gettime() reads a
time stamp from vsyscall_gtod_data and then use tsc to approximate the
current value of a clock.

Actually, this is not the second question, it is a part of the first
question. update_vsyscall() is called from timekeeping_update().