Re: [patch v2] mm, thp: always specify ineligible vmas as nh in smaps

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Sep 25 2018 - 15:52:23 EST

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, Vlastimil Babka wrote:

> On 9/24/18 10:02 PM, Michal Hocko wrote:

> >> I was under impression that nh resp hg flags only tell about the madvise
> >> status. How do you exactly use these flags in an application?

This is used to identify heap mappings that should be able to fault thp
but do not, and they normally point to a low-on-memory or fragmentation
issue. After commit 1860033237d4, our users of PR_SET_THP_DISABLE no
longer show "nh" for their heap mappings so they get reported as having a
low thp ratio when in reality it is disabled. It is also used in
automated testing to ensure that vmas get disabled for thp appropriately
and we used "nh" since that is how PR_SET_THP_DISABLE previously enforced
this, and those tests now break.

> >> Your eligible rules as defined here:

> >> doesn't seem to match the reality. I do not see all the file backed
> >> mappings to be nh marked. So is this really about eligibility rather
> >> than the madvise status? Maybe it is just the above documentation that
> >> needs to be updated.
>
> Yeah the change from madvise to eligibility in the doc seems to go too far.

I'll reword this to explicitly state that "hg" and "nh" mappings either
allow or disallow thp backing.