Re: sdhci driver card-detect is broken because gpiolib can't fallback to _CRS?

From: Rajat Jain
Date: Thu Sep 27 2018 - 13:57:22 EST

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 12:26 AM Andy Shevchenko
<andy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 10:26 PM Rajat Jain <rajatja@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 1:42 AM Andy Shevchenko
> > <andy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This sounds like a good idea and I'd like to do this. I have some
> > questions though:
> >
> > 1) If the BIOS does provide a _DSD entry for "cd-gpio", and
> > additionally driver also uses devm_acpi_dev_add_driver_gpios() to add
> > one more entry for the same string "cd-gpio", which one will (should?)
> > actually be returned by the gpiolib? The one in BIOS or the one that
> > was added by the driver?
>
> Of course the one that BIOS provides. This hardcoded mapping tables is
> a fallback for *old* BIOSes which do not have _DSD.
>
> > 2) Related, I'm trying to understand how can a driver use
> > devm_acpi_dev_add_driver_gpios(), for *only* the case where the BIOS
> > does not have a _DSD (Or should it really care)? Does the driver need
> > to check for _DSD using some other ACPI call?
>
> The magic happens internally in ACPI core.
> Whenever one calls gpiod_get() with a name on ACPI-enabled platform,
> _DSD would be checked first.

Got it, thanks.

> > > See also Documentation/acpi/gpio-properties.txt for

> > Since we shouldn't discourage a BIOS that is trying to do the right
> > thing by exposing the details in _DST, I think it would be preferable
> > if we can solve this in the kernel.
>
> Patches are welcome, I think.
>
> Btw, is there any existing hardware on the market with such BIOS?

Yes, all the chrome books available in the market (at least the ones
released in last 3 years) have same ACPI layout (provide _DSD for
card-detect). They are all working fine today because they use an
older kernel, but if we update them to the latest kernel, this part
will be broken.

Thanks,

Rajat Jain