Re: 4.14 backport request for dbdda842fe96f: "printk: Add console owner and waiter logic to load balance console writes"

From: Daniel Wang
Date: Tue Oct 02 2018 - 13:21:55 EST

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 1:42 AM Petr Mladek <pmladek@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, I still wonder why it helped and why you do not see it with 4.4.
> I have a feeling that the console owner switch helped only by chance.

So do I. I don't think Steven had the deadlock in mind when working on
that patch, but with that patch and that patch alone, the deadlock
disappeared.

> In fact, you might be affected by a race in
> printk_safe_flush_on_panic() that was fixed by the commit:
>
> 554755be08fba31c7 printk: drop in_nmi check from printk_safe_flush_on_panic()
>
> The above one commit might be enough. Well, there was one more

Thanks for the pointer. Let me test this out.

> NMI-related race that was fixed by:
>
> ba552399954dde1b printk: Split the code for storing a message into the log buffer
> a338f84dc196f44b printk: Create helper function to queue deferred console handling
> 03fc7f9c99c1e7ae printk/nmi: Prevent deadlock when accessing the main log buffer in NMI
>
> Best Regards,
> Petr

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 1:17 AM Sergey Senozhatsky
<sergey.senozhatsky.work@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry, I'm missing something here. Steven's patch deals with lockups and
> I understand why you want to backport the patch set; but console output
> deadlock on panic() is another thing.

Understood. But it did fix the deadlock for me and without it I hit the deadlock
pretty consistently. Let me test the patch Petr pointed out and will update
here.

--
Best,
Daniel