Re: [BUG] sound: pci: trident: a possible data race

From: Jia-Ju Bai
Date: Thu Oct 04 2018 - 05:18:01 EST

On 2018/10/4 13:24, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2018 05:08:45 +0200,
Jia-Ju Bai wrote:
Thanks for the reply :)

On 2018/10/3 23:54, Takashi Iwai wrote:
On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 14:50:25 +0200,
Jia-Ju Bai wrote:
CPU0:
snd_trident_hw_free
snd_trident_free_voice
line 3870: spin_lock_irqsave()
line 3881: voice->substream = NULL; [WRITE]
CPU1:
snd_trident_interrupt
line 3798: snd_pcm_period_elapsed(voice->substream); [READ]

As for voice->substream, the WRITE operation in CPU0 is performed
with holding a spinlock, but the READ operation in CPU1 is performed
without holding this spinlock, so there may exist a data race.
Thanks for the report.

The actual crash must be very unlikely, almost 0%, though.
snd_trident_hw_free() is called always after the PCM stream gets
stopped via trigger callback, i.e. at the moment, there is no
corresponding interrupt is generated for that voice entry.
How about the case that playback and capture are performed concurrently?
Namely, snd_trident_hw_free() is called for playback, and the
interrupt is generated for capture.
They are different substreams, hence it won't pick up the substream
object.

Actually, I performed a runtime testing, and found that snd_trident_hw_free() and snd_trident_interrupt() are executed concurrently.
However, I did not check the substream object, so I guess this report was produced in the case that I mentioned.
Anyway, my report should be false, sorry...

Best wishes,
Jia-Ju Bai