Re: [PATCH 1/2] mm: thp: relax __GFP_THISNODE for MADV_HUGEPAGE mappings

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Oct 16 2018 - 18:37:20 EST

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 08:46:06 +0100 Mel Gorman <mgorman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 03:44:59PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:30:17 -0700 (PDT) David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > At the risk of beating a dead horse that has already been beaten, what are
> > > the plans for this patch when the merge window opens?
> >
> > I'll hold onto it until we've settled on something. Worst case,
> > Andrea's original is easily backportable.
> >
> I consider this to be an unfortunate outcome. On the one hand, we have a
> problem that three people can trivially reproduce with known test cases
> and a patch shown to resolve the problem. Two of those three people work
> on distributions that are exposed to a large number of users. On the
> other, we have a problem that requires the system to be in a specific
> state and an unknown workload that suffers badly from the remote access
> penalties with a patch that has review concerns and has not been proven
> to resolve the trivial cases. In the case of distributions, the first
> patch addresses concerns with a common workload where on the other hand
> we have an internal workload of a single company that is affected --
> which indirectly affects many users admittedly but only one entity directly.
> At the absolute minimum, a test case for the "system fragmentation incurs
> access penalties for a workload" scenario that could both replicate the
> fragmentation and demonstrate the problem should have been available before
> the patch was rejected. With the test case, there would be a chance that
> others could analyse the problem and prototype some fixes. The test case
> was requested in the thread and never produced so even if someone were to
> prototype fixes, it would be dependant on a third party to test and produce
> data which is a time-consuming loop. Instead, we are more or less in limbo.

OK, thanks.

But we're OK holding off for a few weeks, yes? If we do that
we'll still make it into 4.19.1. Am reluctant to merge this while
discussion, testing and possibly more development are ongoing.