RE: [tip:irq/core] genirq: Fix race on spurious interrupt detection

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Fri Oct 19 2018 - 16:26:31 EST

David,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2018, David Laight wrote:

Sorry for being dense. Wanted to postpone and hit send ...

The thing is that the spurious detector works perfectly fine for the
scenarios you described since years. It does proper handled vs. unhandled
accounting.

What Lukas is addressing is not the normal interrupt case, it's the
threaded handler case where we did the accounting check after reenabling
the interrupt, which causes spurious detection to trigger
occasionally. That's not leading to disabling the interrupt unless you
enforce it with a gazillion of printks.

The atomic counter is necessary in that case because for certain scenarios
the hard interrupt handler can race with the threaded handler legitimately.

Thanks,

tglx