Re: Reiser4 Linux 4.17.19-1 hangs in Google cloud VM, too.

From: Edward Shishkin
Date: Tue Oct 23 2018 - 02:06:18 EST

On 10/23/2018 06:28 AM, Jose R R wrote:
Thank you for replying, Al-

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 8:38 PM Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 03:19:12AM -0700, Metztli Information Technology wrote:
I installed reiser4 -enhanced Linux kernel 4.17.19-1 --thus replacing the prior hung reiser4 -patched kernel 4.18.15-1 in the Google Compute Engine (GCE) cloud instance. After less than 24 hours the 4.17.19-1 hung in similar way to the 4.18.15-1.

Please note that I had been running my custom Metztli Reiser4 Debian Stretch image with reiser4 linux 4.14.20-1 without issues for several months
< https://github.com/Metztli/reiser4-debian-kernel-packaging-4.14.20 > --until I decided to upgrade to newer kernel(s).

Hello.

Looks like a regression because of VFS/block-layer changes (I don't test new releases carefully enough). Once I am back from vacations, I'll have a look at this..

Thanks,
Edward.

That link you referenced is just my hack for the corresponding Debian
kernel packaging (wrapper) to build 'Reiser4 the Debian Way', i.e,
generating reiser4 module & kernel -- suitable for installation media
-- in addition to Debian's.

Er... Does anybody maintain reiser4 these days? I can't recall a single mail
along the lines of "such-and-such VFS/VM/scheduler/etc. change would break reiser4"
in quite a few years (more than a decade, most likely)...
This is the actual patch for the Linux 4.14.xy series:
< https://sourceforge.net/projects/reiser4/files/reiser4-for-linux-4.x/reiser4-for-4.14.1.patch.gz/download
And yes, Mr. Edward Shishkin, still develops/maintains reiser4, please see:
< https://github.com/edward6/reiser4 >

I have a couple of reiser4 custom Google Compute Engine (GCE) cloud
instances which have been running LAMP for a while. One of them runs
reiser4 -enabled Linux kernel 4.15.x whereas the other one was running
4.14.x (both for several months/years already) until I decided to
upgrade the 4.4.20-1 to newer reiser4 -enabled kernels. By the way
this last kernel that I installed:
uname -a
Linux cohuatl 4.16.0-2+reiser4.0.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.18-2
(2018-06-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux

seems to be performing nicely --if things continue fine I can assume
that the drastic change affecting reiser4 hacked kernels occurred
beginning with upstream Linux series 4.17.x and on...

Best Professional Regards.