Re: Git pull ack emails..

From: Linus Walleij
Date: Tue Oct 23 2018 - 04:53:42 EST

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:41 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In particular, the issue is that after each pull, I do a build test
> before the pull is really "final", and while that build test is
> ongoing (which takes anything from a few minutes to over an hour when
> I'm on the road and using my laptop), I go on and look at the *next*
> pull (or one of the other pending ones).

So that is how you work, we have mental models about
how the upstream maintainers workflow is done but always
guessed it was something like this, nice to know.

> Comments?

I don't need the ACKs becuase there is just always some reason or
nervousness that make me sit and git pull --ff-only all the time during
the merge window because I worry that something will break on mine
or others machines.

Can't you just tool something that mails automatically after-the-fact?
Greg's "notices" that patch so or so was applied are clearly
auto-generated by a script after he applied and tested a whole
bunch of them, the same should be possible for pull requests
methinks? Just something you run after a workday sealing the
deal.

Linus Walleij