Re: [dm-devel] [RFC] dm-bow working prototype

From: Mikulas Patocka
Date: Fri Oct 26 2018 - 16:03:23 EST

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018, Paul Lawrence wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion. I spent part of yesterday experimenting with
> this idea, and it is certainly very promising. However, it does have some
> disadvantages as compared to dm-bow, if I am understanding the setup
> correctly:
>
> 1) Since dm-snap has no concept of the free space on the underlying file
> system any write into the free space will trigger a backup, so using twice the
> space of dm-bow. Changing existing data will create a backup with both
> drivers, but since we have to reserve the space for the backups up-front with
> dm-snap, we would likely only have half the space for that. Either way, it
> seems that dm-bow is likely to double the amount of changes we could make.
>
> (Might it be possible to dynamically resize the backup file if it is mostly
> used up? This would fix the problem of only having half the space for changing

Yes - the snapshot store can be extended while the snapshot is active.

> existing data. The documentation seems to indicate that you can increase the
> size of the snapshot partition, and it seems like it should be possible to
> grow the underlying file without triggering a lot of writes. OTOH this would
> have to happen in userspace which creates other issues.)
>
> 2) Similarly, since writes into free space do not trigger a backup in dm-bow,
> dm-bow is likely to have a lower performance overhead in many circumstances.
> On the flip side, dm-bow's backup is in free space and will collide with other
> writes, so this advantage will reduce as free space fills up. But by choosing
> a suitable algorithm for how we use free space we might be able to retain most
> of this advantage.
>
> I intend to put together a fully working prototype of your suggestion next to
> better compare with dm-bow. But I do believe there is value in tracking free
> space and utilizing it in any such solution.

The snapshot target could be hacked so that it remembers space trimmed
with REQ_OP_DISCARD and won't reallocate these blocks.

But I suspect that running discard over the whole device would degrade
performance more than copying some unneeded data.

How much data do you intend to backup with this solution?

Mikulas