Re: remove exofs and the T10 OSD code V2

From: Nick Desaulniers
Date: Sat Oct 27 2018 - 16:33:09 EST

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 1:20 AM Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:

> The only real user of the T10 OSD protocol, the pNFS object layout
> driver never went to the point of having shipping products, and we
> removed it 1.5 years ago. Exofs is just a simple example without
> real life users.
>
> The code has been mostly unmaintained for years and is getting in the
> way of block / SCSI changes, so I think it's finally time to drop it.
>
> Quote from Boaz:
>
> "As I said then. It is used in Universities for studies and experiments.
> Every once in a while. I get an email with questions and reports.
>
> But yes feel free to remove the all thing!!
>
> I guess I can put it up on github. In a public tree.
>
> Just that I will need to forward port it myself, til now you guys
> been doing this for me ;-)"

Hi Christoph,
Thanks for the series. I suggest you pick up Nathan's patch:
https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/commit/a37fa82bde58960c5c966a5c1bef8ace6c9d4f34
that removed the configs that were removed in this series from the
various defconfigs.

I think the other thread still has some questions about when it's ok
to remove filesystems. But it's ultimately the maintainers decision.
Let's continue the discussion in the other thread.
--
Thanks,
~Nick Desaulniers