Re: Which SPDX Identifier for files without explicit GPL version

From: Michael Straube
Date: Sun Oct 28 2018 - 09:22:57 EST

On 10/28/18 12:27 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 11:04:06AM +0100, Michael Straube wrote:
Hi,

which GPL version should be used in SPDX Identifiers for files that
are GPL licensed but do not mention any version? It is not clear to
me after reading license-rules.rst.

For example:

/******************************************************************************
* Copyright(c) 2008 - 2010 Realtek Corporation. All rights reserved.
*
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
* ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for
* more details.
*
* The full GNU General Public License is included in this distribution in the
* file called LICENSE.

Perhaps look up what version of the GPL that was originally contained in
the tarball that this driver was bundled with? I think that should be
on their website somewhere...

If not, it's v1, not a good thing, but all we have to go on. Also, try
emailing:

* Contact Information:
* wlanfae <wlanfae@xxxxxxxxxxx>

That address :)

thanks,

greg k-h

Ah, there is a file 'license' in the root directory of this driver (rtl8192e)
that I overlooked. It contains GPLv2. So v2 applies to all files with the above
shortened boiler plate?

Thanks,
Michael